Tuesday, December 01, 2009

USA negligent in Iraqi deaths since 1980s

PS (Dec 2): If the 100,000 "excess deaths" in Iraq since 2003 can be blamed entirely on the US, so can deaths resulting from US support for Saddam during the 80s and the US failure in 1991 to help the Iraqi Shia who wanted very badly to see Saddam's murderous regime overthrown. UN sanctions, which Clinton continued to enforce, caused much suffering among ordinary Iraqis while Saddam built palaces.

I commented on a post entitled "Why they hate us (II): How many Muslims has the U.S. killed in the past 30 years?" on the Palestinian Pundit, and I think my comment is worth posting here:

'According to the UN, sanctions actually resulted in the deaths of 500,000 Iraqis by 1998, and I remember Secretary of State Madeline Albright on 60 Minutes saying the price was worth it.'

Albright's 60 Minutes interview took place in 1996, not 1998:


My comment continued:

'I think it's also worth mentioning US support of Saddam's murderous regime in the 80s and the war between Iraq and Iran, which resulted in the deaths of a million Muslims. Turns out the US was supporting both sides.

Furthermore, the Shia rebellion in 1991 was brutally put down, and one of Saddam's guys admitted the regime killed 300,000 Shia (Muslims) in April, 1991 alone. They did this as US soldiers stood not far away - Bush apparently gave the order not to intervene, as his Saudi buddies did not want the Shia to take over Iraq. I consider the US to be partially negligent in the mass murders committed by Saddam's regime, and I think the real numbers are much larger.'

In a second comment I also posted a link to this video, which I've posted before and watched again today, only to be angered again:



I'm glad the US overthrew Saddam's murderous regime, but it shoulda happened in 1991.

No comments :