Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Do we need newspapers?

I heard this morning that the Seattle Post Intelligencer stopped printing papers and has only a website, making it America's largest newspaper to provide the news digitally, without the paper. So I guess you can't call it a newspaper anymore, which is fine with me. Paper is made from wood, which comes from trees, which is a resource that should not be wasted, and nor should the gasoline used to distribute all those papers.

We will always need journalists and media outlets to give us the news, but given the current economic and environmental circumstances, I think it's best to minimize the consumption of paper products. I applaud all newspapers who make this inevitable change. I hope that struggling companies such as the SF Chronicle are able to survive on their websites alone.

PS: on the other hand, not everybody has access to the internet.

No comments :