Monday, February 04, 2008

"Oil For Food"

I just noticed how many links I have on my blog.  One of them is http://www.iraqinews.com/ - I must admit that I do not visit this site often, and in fact this is probably the second or third time I looked at their site, and I was surprised to learn that today is Monday, 28 Muharram 1429 H 4 February 2008.  Also I learned (from their "Today In Iraqi History" feature, which needs to be updated) that on February 1, 1998, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan called for an increase in the amount of oil Iraq can sell under the UN-sponsored "Oil-for-Food" program.  I wonder if Kofi knew at the time about the corruption that was taking place under his nose.  Saddam built palaces; the Iraqi people got food rations. It seems unfair to me. 



"February 1, 1998 U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan calls for an increase in the amount of oil Iraq can sell under the U.N.-sponsored "Oil-for-Food" program"

PS: Compare the plight of the Iraqi people in the 1990s to the plight of Saddam Hussein: "A 1999 State Department study reported Saddam’s regime had spent $2.2 billion building about 48 palaces since the 1991 Gulf War. Some estimates put the total number of palaces between 70 and 80."

No comments :