Friday, February 10, 2012

Saudi arrested for "blasphemous" tweets

He may get the death penalty. Shame on Malaysia for arresting him. I thought Malaysia was more tolerant than the kingdom of backward Arabs.

CSM: "A 23-year-old Saudi Twitter user, Hamza Kashgari, fled the country Sunday to avoid being arrested for his religious tweets, only to find himself in the hands of the Malaysian police today. He had been heading to New Zealand to request political asylum."

Today is the Prophet Muhammad's b-day, and the courageous writer thought he had freedom in KSA to publish these three tweets:

"On your birthday, I will say that I have loved the rebel in you, that you've always been a source of inspiration to me, and that I do not like the halos of divinity around you. I shall not pray for you.

On your birthday, I find you wherever I turn. I will say that I have loved aspects of you, hated others, and could not understand many more.

On your birthday, I shall not bow to you. I shall not kiss your hand. Rather, I shall shake it as equals do, and smile at you as you smile at me. I shall speak to you as a friend, no more."

Thanks Patrick for sharing.

6 comments :

Ghadeer said...

The guy made a formal apology and said he regretted his tweets so even if he was offensive, give him a break!

Anonymous said...

jnana,

No, let him be made an example out of to all those who even think about insulting the prophet.

He's on his own now

Iraqi Mojo said...

But he did not insult the prophet.

Iraqi Mojo said...

Muslimeen lo Mujrimeen?

"It is appalling that Saudi clerics and the Saudi government would resort to such measures in response to a few tweets by a 23-year old writer, who was merely expressing his personal views on his faith and Prophet Muhammad. However, in light of the horrific human rights record of Saudi Arabia, these responses do not come as a surprise. What is even more shocking than the response of the Saudi officials is the fact that thousands of Saudi citizens as well as thousands Muslims in other countries are joining the chorus of hatred directed against Kashgari."

Maury said...

There are at least 15 missing PBUH's from those tweets. If that ain't blasphemy, I don't know what is. How's a Prophet to get any tranquility with so many absent PBUH's?

Iraqi Mojo said...

I agree, Maury:)