Saturday, April 04, 2009

2 gay Iraqis killed by relatives

Murdered by their relatives. For being gay. After a backward cleric repeatedly condemned homosexuality.

More than a year ago I had dinner with a cute Iraqi girl who asked me as we drank wine what I would do if my son turns out to be gay. I said I would support him. I asked her what she would do if her son turns out to be gay. She said "I would kill him" and laughed uproariously.

Iraqi police: 2 gay men killed in Baghdad slum

By SAMEER N. YACOUB, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD – The bodies of two gay men have been found in Baghdad's Shiite slum of Sadr City after a leading cleric repeatedly condemned homosexuality, an Iraqi police official said Saturday.

The killings come after Shiite cleric Sattar al-Battat repeatedly condemned homosexuality during recent Friday prayers, saying Islam prohibits homosexuality. Homosexual acts are punishable by up to seven years in prison in Iraq.

The two men were believed killed Thursday by relatives who were shamed by their behavior, said the official. Police said they suspected the killings were at the hands of family members because no one has claimed the bodies or called for an investigation.

The killings come weeks after Iraqi police found four bodies in late March buried near Sadr City with the words "pervert" and "puppies" written on their chests, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information.

continued

No comments :