Monday, November 10, 2008

Gay Marriage

If you live in California you probably know about Proposition 8. On election day a slight majority (52.3% so far) of Californian voters voted to ban gay marriage. I was surprised and a bit disappointed by the results, but then I listened to the news: an exit poll found that 70% of African American voters and 53% of Hispanic voters in California voted to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry. Both groups are heavily influenced by the Church. I wonder what percentage of Californian Muslims voted to ban gay marriage. I have a feeling it's probably higher than 70%. Even my dad's cousin, a secular man of science, urged me to vote for the ban. Why? I don't understand what the big deal is. What is marriage besides a promise and maybe an exchange of money? Why can't gay couples have this right?

We already know how gays are treated in the lands of Wahhabism and Khomeinism. Guys like Mahmoud Ahmedinejad and Usama bin Ladin undoubtedly agree with the Californians who voted for the ban. The Islamic clerics who condemn Iranian gay men to death by hanging are probably proud of the Mormons who funded the campaign against gay marriage. This issue will eventually be decided by California's Supreme Court, and I hope the court decides to overturn the ban once again.

On Saturday I saw protesters carrying some great signs. "I Didn't Vote On Your Marriage" and "OMG CA WTF??" were two poignant messages. I agree.

No comments :