Friday, April 18, 2008

Is this like, really Stanford?

I had dinner tonight at a sushi restaurant in Palo Alto, the home of Stanford University, which has a reputation for being one of the best in the country. I sat next to a young couple and couldn't help but overhear their conversation, which was peppered with the word "like", as in "it was like, so perfect". I can only assume they are students of Stanford. I've heard young Americans use the word "like" for the last few years, but I did not expect Ivy Leaguers to use it so much.

As I walked home, three older women passed me. I couldn't believe my ears when one of them said "I was like, what?" Now I'm sitting in a hooka bar, and I hear the word used by almost everybody. "He was like, what are you doing tonight?", a young lady said. These cannot be Stanford students! Or are they?

PS: I just asked the group sitting next to me if they are Stanford students. They are still in high school, thankfully:)

No comments :